13 October 2012

Improved scores & consistency

Todays visit to the range was to shoot rounds 3 and 4 of the Winter season black powder league cards. Using the 'normal' load of 9gns Krank's fine, 0.010 oiled patch and .354 ball, the first card shot scored an 83 ex 100:

83 ex 100

No V-bulls this time. The group is very slightly to the left, but the overall elevation this time round is quiet good. Before the detail I raised the rearsight half a turn clockwise [the maximum permissable on the pistol]. Usual loading sequence with a wipe out between shots. After each load when finished, I checked my aim point using the closed eye method, adjusted my feet position if any left/right correction needed, then came own to the rest position before going through the aiming/firing sequence.

After shooting the card, I stepped away from the firing point during the next detail to have a rest/chat/gossip/rehydrate...

The second card shot as round 4 was completed using the same loading. aiming and firing sequence. This gave a final score of 84 ex 100 with one V-bull:

84.1 ex 100
 
This card's group is more central in both windage and elevation. A very pleasing morning's shoot, especially as both cards beat my current average!

Stats
Detail scores: 83 + 84
Running average: 78.2
Personal best: 88.1
Barrel count: 130



My thanks to Don who has given me a batch of un-lubed 0.012 plain patches to try out. Once I sort out a suitable lube to use, I'll process the patches and then give them a try with the 0.354 ball. This might make the ball starting harder [0.366 overall compared to current 0.364], but might give tighter groups.

"Targets" aimed for [1] all 13 shots in the black, [2] all shots within the 8-ring, [3] more V-bulls...

No comments:

Post a Comment