26 August 2012

Loading

Having researched all the available information on the loading recommendations for the Mortimer muzzle-loading black powder pistol, I finally managed to get to the range and to try out some different loads.
 
I found that the following combination gave good groupings, low recoil/noise and reasonable scores [for a first attempt]:
 
Black Powder make: Henry Krank's Fine [FFFg]
Black Powder Load: 10.0 grains
Ball make: Pedersoli
Ball size: 0.354
Patch make: Henry Krank's
Patch size: 0.005 oiled
Percussion cap make: Dynamit Nobel
Percussion cap type: 1075
 
I also tried 0.010 oiled patches, but found that the balls were a lot harder to seat, and that pieces of the patch were being torn off. I also tried 12.0 grains of black powder, but found the recoil was worse, the noise louder, and the shots went low/right.
 
Plans for the future include trying out combinations of Hornady 0.350 balls, 0.015 oiled patches, 8.0 grains of black powder and CCI No.11 percussion caps.
 
I am also hoping to try some Swiss No.1 powder.
 
More information:
 

2 comments:

  1. If I go to a smaller 0.350 ball, I'll use a thicker patch. Either 0.010 or 0.015 oiled. I'll blog the results once tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried a .350 ball with a 0.012 patch successfully. I need to fire a set to work out how accurate it is.

    ReplyDelete