16 September 2012

Lower load

The first card shot in this session was done using a reduced powder load. Instead of the 10 grain of Krank's FFFg, I used 9 grains instead. The same .354 ball and .005 patch was used. The results obtained were:

 

If you look closely, my first ever V-bull! The score was 74, just below my current average. There was no noticeable difference in the recoil or the noise.

I did have a problem at the start of this card. After running a cleaning 2by4 through the barrel, I capped off and then loaded for the first shot. Although the percussion cap fired, the main load failed to ignite. A second cap gave the same results. I removed the nipple and checked it wasn't blocked. I also removed the percussion tube side screw and checked that that wasn't blocked either. Noticed that no powder came out! Reassembled the pistol.

Got the ball puller from the box and proceeded to remove the ball. Capped off but still no powder ignition. Ran a clean dry 2by4 through the barrel and what came out of the muzzle was so very damp looking clumps of powder.

Suspect the initial cleaning failed to remove all the oil left in the barrel as protection during storage. Ran through another cleaning 2by4 which came out clean and dry. Reloaded from scratch and successfully fired the first of thirteen shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment