8 June 2013

Time to save some money

Having just got back from a work-party day at the local Club range, managed to combine tidying up the black-powder butts with some money saving! Took along a sieve and a small trowel. Once I located the impact point on the butt sand for the five firing points, I got to work. After any stones were removed, and any plants/grass uprooted, I started to dig down to about 6 inches, sieving every time the sieve was full. After two hours, the five butt locations had been cleared, dug, sieved, refilled and reprofiled, I had a bucket of bullet heads and lead balls:

Bucket o'lead

Once suitably washed and then completely dried, the heads and balls will be melted down, fluxed and then poured in to ingot moulds [I'll be using a 9-hole deep-fill muffin tray]. Then when I need to, I'll remelt the lead ingots, flux the melt again, then use a dipper ladle and my Lee .354 mould to cast some lead balls for the Mortimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment